Squarespace for Developers
Lightweight Style Editor (aka Tweak Layer) - Squarespace template style sheets accept specially formed comments to enable the Squarespace tweaking layer. Squarespace tweaks allow user manipulation of any CSS variable on the fly along with completely dynamic reprocessing of the style sheet. Color math, complex equations, and more are available.
Template Development Kit (TDK) - Squarespace templates can be implemented using the new TDK. The TDK offers developers the option of customizing every piece of the HTML that Squarespace serves using the JSON-Template language. Further, developers can work on templates using their favorite text editing tools (CSS Edit, Espresso, Textmate, Coda, etc.). Squarespace’s TDK supports synchronization of binary files directly from the file system to allow for completely offline development.
- SFTP Access - Edit developer files using desktop SFTP programs.
- JSON-Template - Squarespace’s template language is simplified JSON-Template.
- LESS.css - Less.css is integrated with the backend automatically.
- Inline Tweak Layer - Simply annotate CSS declarations and mix-ins to expose the Squarespace tweaking interface.
- Implicit Widget Fields - Block fields are generated automatically simply by including <squarespace:blocks> in your source code.
- Auto-Fonts - Google fonts used are automatically conditionally loaded simply by naming them in a CSS sheet.
- Auto-Combo - Script files used by developers will be automatically merged into a single server request.
- Automatic Caching - Proper far-future cache headers are set on all assets. Cache eviction is performed automatically.
JSON Standard - Every Squarespace collection and item can now be pulled as a JSON structure by appending ?format=json to the URL. This enables development of 3rd party services that can rely on your Squarespace content, as well as very sophisticated templates that load your content asynchronously.
Common Data Architecture - Squarespace V6 implements a new JSON-based object format on the backend, ensuring common services are provided across objects regardless of their type. For instance, tagging, categories, authors and more are properly implemented across journals, galleries, etc. This format will enable you to rapidly expand to new page types across the backend of the system (store items, music albums, restaurant menus, etc.).
Design what you want without worrying about the constraints of a traditional website builder. If you can dream it , you can build it.
Build any kind of website you need – from static HTML brochureware to a fully-responsive, HTML5, Web 7.0, SEO-infused, free-range organic super site.
Hand your clients something pretty and easy to use. Forget trying to train them how to use link heavy, confusing admin panels.